Well, today I was at the front, so there is a lot more customer interaction. Some was very enjoyable while some was far from pleasant.
1. I always greet a customer and then ask them how they’re doing. A hearty “Fabulous!” always makes me smile 🙂
2. We sell Arizona tea that is delicious! It costs 99 cents and it says so right on the container. There is one man who, every time he comes in, turns over the container and says, “Hey, aren’t they 66 cents?” I still find it amusing for some reason.
3. I had a customer this morning who…well, it’s a long story. Basically she insisted on lowering the price of everything, did one too many transactions for my liking, had to speak to the manager, caused a long line and then ended up not getting anything. If a dollar is too expensive for a sweatshirt, you probably can’t afford a sweatshirt at all. Oh, and then when I asked all the customers behind her to come with me to Cosmetics so I could check them out while the manager dealt with her, they all got mad at me…as if I was being annoying and causing the long line.
4. An elderly gentleman was standing up by the register while his wife went to go get batteries. I decided to make some small talk and asked, “Is it hot enough for you outside?” His reply: “No, in fact I already switched to drinking water. You know, back in Japan I had little white guys chasing me. I’m serious!” Um…I guess he was a little off his rocker. Highly amusing for me though…should have played along.
5. I had a strong male customer ask me if he could arm wrestle me for a lower price. I laughed and he said, “What about a thumb war? Now I’m gonna leave thinking you can beat me.” 😛
6. There is a regular customer who looks like Larry King but a little heavier. Every single time he comes in he says, “Always remember, Jesus loves you! Have a good weekend.” I appreciate it.
7. Another regular came in today. He told me, “It’s always nice to see a smiling fae when I walk in here. It matters to some of us!” And then cue the name conversation (apparently he didn’t recognize me).
Well, off to the chopping block again tomorrow. I’m completely exhausted and have probably been a bit short with many people because of it. Sorry. At least I get Sundays off!